Friday, October 1, 2010

It Gets Worse

“Wait two weeks before you drive or go back to work.  After two weeks, take a walk and see how you feel.  If you experience any dizziness, you need to take it easy a bit longer.”

There were 2 doctors in the room evaluating JD’s most recent injury- a concussion from wakeboarding.  I guess when you spend enough time in doctor’s offices, they start giving you two at once.

“So I’ll be good to go in 2 weeks,” JD said, repeating what he wanted to hear and not what the doctor actually said.

“No, he said you can see how you feel in 2 weeks.” I said, exasperated.  To make sure we were all on the same page, I added, “So no BMX, no motorcycle, and no working out for the next 2 weeks.”

The doctors chuckled.

“No.  Seriously.  He needs to hear it from you, otherwise he won’t listen.”

Finally the other doctor chimed in, “Avoid anything that normally requires a helmet for at least the next 2 weeks.”

JD gave me the “thanks for ruining my fun” look.

By the next day, I was already receiving hourly “I’m bored” calls at work.

“Maybe you shouldn’t have gotten a concussion then.”

“I didn’t do it on purpose!”

That was debatable.  Personally, I feel that going out wakeboarding for the 2nd time ever and “just hucking it” DOES border on injuring yourself purposefully.  But, that's JD....

No comments:

Post a Comment