Monday, October 25, 2010

Always a Surprise



JD and I have had a hectic summer.  We spent several weekends traveling visiting friends and family.  JD did a couple of motorcycle trips, and when we were at home, we were busy spending time with friends or doing projects around the house.  I can’t remember the last real date we’ve had, or the last time we spent an entire weekend relaxing.

This weekend we decided to put aside the projects and spend some quality time together.  Saturday was date night, which started out with dinner at an Italian restaurant.  We were originally planning to do a fun activity like mini-golf after dinner, but we're apparently getting old.  After staying out late Friday night, spending the evening doing something as exhausting as mini-golf was completely out of the question.  So, movie it was.  JD scrolled through the movie listings.  "Well, there's Red or Jackass 3D." No way I was spending $20 to watch the Jackass guys find not-so-new ways to hurt themselves.  And I wasn't in the mood for an action movie (no babe, not even if it has Bruce Willis and Morgan Freeman in it).  "What about that new Katherine Heigl movie?  Life As We Know It or something like that?" I suggested.

I waited.  He didn't protest.  Didn't point out that our money was better spent on an action movie and we could rent the chick flick for a dollar when it comes out on DVD.  He said, "Okay.  If that's what you want to see."  I was shocked.  I won't say this is a first, but it's been a while since I've picked the movie. 

Sunday morning, all I wanted to do is sleep in, which usually means I get up at 8:30 when the dogs wake me up.  The dogs have learned that I'm the light sleeper in the family, and too many weekend mornings I wake up to a wet snout in the face.  Sunday, JD woke up with the dogs and took them out of the room.  I was able to sleep until JD walked in with warm eggs and buttery toast.

I know, it's like he did something wrong, right?  Like he's trying to make something up to me?  Totally not the case.  He's just wonderful :)

We spent the day lounging around the house and enjoying the beautiful weather by taking the dogs for a long walk.  It was one of those days- one of those weekends really, when you're able to fully recharge.  If only all weekends were just like it....


1 comment:

  1. I wish I was able to recharge this weekend, but waiting in line for a total of 3 hours just doesn't scream "relaxing."

    ReplyDelete