Saturday, October 30, 2010

Callin' Like a Collector

My name is not, nor has it ever been, Angelique. I do not know anyone named Angelique. So why debt collectors keep calling me asking for Angelique J, I'm not really sure. They, of course, do not believe me when I tell them I am not Angelique, nor do I know her. One even had the nerve to suggest that the J had something to do with "Jenny."


This has been going on for the past 2 years. They'll call me regularly until I'm tired of the calls and finally answer. This is how the conversation usually goes:


"Hello?"


"I'm looking for Angelique."


I try to use my angriest tone, but I always feel bad because I know someone out there is just trying to make ends meet with this horrible job where they get yelled at all day, "Look, I am NOT Angelique. I do not know Angelique. I have owned this number for 2 years. I have told you SEVERAL TIMES to take me off your list."


"Ok ma'am. Have a nice day."


The calls stop for a few months, but they always start up again eventually. I tried letting JD answer the phone once, thinking that he would sound way more intimidating than I do, but the calls started up again a few months later.


I read somewhere that I should write an official letter telling them they've been calling the wrong person and send it via certified mail. That sounds like way too much work for debt that isn't mine. Isn't the beauty of cell phones that I can ignore calls from unknown callers? They never leave a voicemail anyway.


They started calling me again a few weeks ago. Since I haven't answered, they're getting desperate, and actually called me at 8:45 this morning. Really? Do you think calling someone before 9 on a Saturday is going to make them want to give you money? Probably not.


But then again, they seem to think I want to pay off someone else's debt... no thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment