Monday, October 18, 2010

Track Day

1am: Boyd barks at something.  I’m sure this means someone is in the house and is going to attack me.  I turn on the light and Harrier runs to the bedroom door to stand guard, then looks back at me reassuringly.  I realize I have to pee.  I hesitate.  Is it better for my attacker to think I’m asleep or awake?  Awake, definitely awake.  God, I hate being alone at night.  I tell myself that Harrier will kill anything or anyone who comes into our house, and manage to fall back asleep.

7:30am:  Arrive at work exhausted.  Actually pour myself a half cup of coffee (which is a big deal because I generally stay away from caffeine) to wake me up.

9am:  JD calls to say good morning with uncontrollable excitement in his voice.  He slept in his car, which means he didn’t sleep well, but adrenaline will get him through the day.  JD says the advanced riders are on the track, which means his first session should run from 9:40-10.

9:50am: Starting to get antsy but remind myself not to worry because his session won’t be over for another 10 minutes.

10:20:  Still haven’t heard from him and getting really nervous.  My call goes to voicemail.  I try to dismiss my panic with rational thoughts.  He probably got sidetracked working on the bike. He probably doesn’t even have his phone on him.

10:30am: He finally calls.  He chooses now to tell me that they were running behind and his session didn’t start until after 10.  He’s proud to announce he hit a new top speed of 140mph.  I manage to reply with a supportive, “Oh good,” but I know there’s a hint of sarcasm in my voice.

11:40am: I’m away from my desk, but return to a voicemail from JD.  “Hey babe, just wanted to let you know that I’m still alive.”  Phew. 

1:06pm: Lunch conversations distract me from worrying about JD.  Have a brief moment of panic when I get back to my desk and realize I don’t have any voicemails, but then I think that they’re probably having their lunch break too so I shouldn’t stress.

1:43pm: I send him a text and he calls me back.  “It’s a good day- only 2 wrecks in our group!  And I’m hitting some turns at 100 instead of 60 like last time.”  This was another “Oh good” moment.

2:50pm:  Still alive.  No injuries to himself or the bike.

3:36pm:  He’s starting to get tired and ended his last session a lap early.  I suggested he sit out a session so he can rest but he said track time is too expensive to waste (today’s sessions are actually free, but they’re usually expensive).

6:30pm: Home safe and sound.  I breathe a sigh of relief.  And the good news is that track season is over so I won't have to worry about this again till Spring :)

No comments:

Post a Comment