Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Sorry I’ve been MIA for the past few weeks (don’t try to hide it, I know you’ve missed me). With the madness of feeding 20 people Thanksgiving dinner and having 9 of those people staying in my house (plus 3 dogs!), I’ve been a little preoccupied.  I will say that dinner went very well and I landed somewhere in-between Betty Crocker and cursing angrily.  Potatoes were cold and dinner was served 30 minutes late, but everything else was warm, there was plenty of food, and I was able to celebrate with a large glass of red wine (we're talking Big Carl large, for all you Cougartown fans).
Here is a brief update on the past few weeks:
The good: We have officially adopted Sadie.  The first time Sadie slept with us in the bedroom, she went right over to Boyd’s bed and snuggled up with him, rather than sleeping on her own bed.  Looking down at her contentment, it became clear that as great as my mom and stepdad would be to her, she might never understand if we gave her away to someone else.  After all she’s already been through, we simply can’t do that to her.  Besides, she’s crazy cute.  And it’s nice to have another girl in the house ;-)


The bad:  The vending machines at work suck.  One of 3 things always happens: 1. Your money gets eaten.  2. Your item gets stuck  3.  It doesn’t give you change.   My company changed vendors a few months ago, and was excited for "the great service company X can provide."  Right.  Either they're trying to slim us all down by making it less likely you'll receive your tasty treat, or they're pocketing that extra money.  Hey company X, I want my dollar back.
The ugly: My company did a major round of layoffs this week.  I believe this is the 5th time since I started in ’08.  I feel sad that so many people lost their job right before the holidays.  I feel guilty that I’ve survived it all so far, when others who are in difficult situations have not.  As for the rest of us, we just keep doing our work and hope for the best...

No comments:

Post a Comment