Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cocktails Make Everything Okay

Two days before our wedding, I was out with my girls enjoying cocktails and manis/pedis at a fabulous place downtown that has managed to combine these wonderful activities.  Meanwhile, JD had gone out on a group motorcycle ride.  Let’s just say, it was a good thing I already had 2 cocktails in me when the call came in.

“I’m okay.  But I had a little accident.”

“An accident?!” The tone in my voice caused my entire bridal party to look up, even though they weren’t that surprised either.

“I laid the bike down.  I thought I was going to die.  But I only hurt my wrist.”

Good Lord, what is he trying to do to me? *Big sip of cocktail*

“I took a turn too fast and thought I’d be okay just riding into the ditch.  But the ground was soft, and my front wheel sunk into the ground.  I flipped off the bike and my bike flipped over me.  But I’m okay.  And I love you.  All I could think about when it happened was how much I loved you and I thought I was going to die.  But I just hurt my wrist.”

Our wedding pictures wouldn’t have been complete without some kind of brace.


In the next few days, I did think about how lucky we were that he wasn’t more seriously hurt.  (He does always wear full gear when he rides, so I have to give him credit for that.)  Sometimes my thoughts were something like, “I could have lost him from my life forever,” and a tear would come to my eye.  Sometimes my thoughts were something like, “We could have spent our wedding day in a hospital instead,” and I’d be tempted to smack him.  In a weird way, the incident really touched me.  They always say your life flashes before your eyes during a Near Death Experience.  In JD’s case, it was me.  It reminded me how much I loved him and how much he loved me.  Nothing in this world could change that.  

Luckily, the honeymoon was relatively safe.  He did manage to get hit in the head by the mast while windsurfing, but other than that we were happy and healthy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment