Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Letter To Loralai

Dear Loralai-

It's hard to believe that you're almost ready to join us in the world, that the familiar rolling in my belly will soon be gone, replaced with a tiny person I will watch grow. A person who will change my life in a profound way I don't even understand yet.

I've spent 9 months preparing, but soon those little choices I made- which crib sheet matched your room the best and what brand monitor to buy- will be so insignificant. They are nothing compared to the choices I will spend the next 18 years making.

I'm overwhelmed with love for you and overwhelmed with the responsibility of molding you into the person I want you to be. No, not a ballerina or a rocket scientist or a tomboy who loves dirt bikes. You can be anything you want to be as long as you live a life full of love, kindness, compassion, integrity, and appreciation. That's the person I want you to be, and I will do my best not to fail you in that, no matter how many mistakes I might make along the way.

This time for your father and I is both exhilarating and scary.  For 5 years it's been just the two of us, and now we're adding a whole new dimension to our family.  Mostly, we're anxious to get to know you, and learn all the quirks that will make you uniquely you.

I would say that it's been a long journey, but it hasn't really felt that way.  Every day I marvel at how quickly time has flown by.  It feels like just yesterday I found out I was pregnant.  I was elated, and at that time 9 months felt like an eternity, but here we are making final preparations for your arrival.

I hope you know how loved you are already.  Not just by me and your father, but by your grandparents, aunts, uncles, and all of our friends who love you as if you were family.  I hope that you can sense everyone's love and excitement in there, and it makes you just as excited to come out and meet us as we are to meet you.

Love, 
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment