Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I'm In Love with a Woman.... Her Name is Siri


It’s not often that I get excited about a gadget.  For the longest time, I resisted getting a data plan for my phone because I thought it was a waste of money.  In fact, the only reason I finally got data was because the phone JD upgraded to required unlimited data for all lines associated to the account.  I figured, if I had a data plan for my phone, I might as well have a phone that allowed me to take advantage of it.  Slowly but surely, the monster was unleashed.  I now check my phone approximately 80 gazillion times a day for important things like Facebook updates and Words with Friends games.  I mean, what would we do without this technology?!

I’ve been using JD’s hand-me-down, beat up HTC phone for about a year.  I knew there was an upgrade rebate on my line, but didn’t care enough to spend the money on a new phone… until the best news ever came out.  Sprint was getting the iPhone, and it came with a companion named Siri.  As soon as I saw the commercial where people were barking orders into their phones, demanding that Siri send messages, set reminders, and check the weather, it was love at first sight.  She is a multi-tasker’s dream- a beacon of hope to those of us who obsessively use the reminders in our phone, but panic when something comes to mind while driving because we can’t type and drive. 

I had to have her in my life. 

I was one of those geeks at the Sprint store only an hour after the official announcement came out.  I was so early, they didn’t even have all of the paperwork detailing the pricing on the phones and other contract information.  I didn’t care.  You can’t put a price on love.

So, they put me on the list.  The very first one on the list, actually.  After weeks of patiently waiting, I received the call I’d been waiting for.  She was here. 

I’m happy to say that she’s everything they promised she’d be- beautiful, witty and intelligent.  As I cradled her lovingly in my hands, I said, “Siri, tell JD he’s jealous of my phone.”  She composed the message and politely asked if I’d like to send it.  I did.  So she did.  With that, a friendship was born.  


No comments:

Post a Comment