Friday, December 7, 2012

To Trust or Not To Trust Pt 2

My company does this thing called a "day of giving" where you're allowed to take 1 day off work a year, without using vacation time for it, if you use it to do volunteer work (LOVE that my company does this and LOVE that so many people take advantage of it).  There is a group of us from my department who've decided to do our day together by volunteering with the Salvation Army by helping organize their toy warehouse for their "Christmas Cheer Distribution."  

I came home and excitedly told JD what we would be doing, pointing out that we'd be spending our day in his district.

"Well, I'm not working that day," he announced, sounding somewhat panicked.

"I know," I said.  "I checked the schedule but you're on night shift, so you won't be around while we're there."

"I don't like you going over there when I'm not around," he grumbled.

Remember, JD's district is the worst district in the city.  Still, I'll be going with a big group of people in the middle of the day to do volunteer work.  It's not like I'm going to be walking down the street by myself provoking people.  Besides, just because it's a bad area doesn't mean you can't go there without getting mugged or shot.  I mean, people live and work there, just like every other area in the city.

"What do you think is going to happen?" I laughed.  "Do you think some gang member will anticipate that your wife, who he's never seen and probably doesn't even know exists, is going to be in the area that day, single me out from a group of people, and attack me?"

"I just don't like you going over there without me," he repeated.

I gave him a kiss and promised I'll be fine, but I'd be willing to bet he'll have someone who happens to be working that shift "keep an eye on things."

No comments:

Post a Comment