Friday, December 9, 2011

Hate Is a Four Letter Word

I didn’t really want to go here; I wanted to ignore it.  Why?  Because I don’t like thinking about these things.  I try to block it from my mind because the reality is too scary.  Yet, I’m compelled to say something today.

I’m sure you all heard about the VT shooting.  Not that all shootings aren’t sad and senseless, but it’s hard for me not to take it personally when it involves a police officer.  Especially when the police officer wasn’t even doing anything but sitting in his car.  Or, in the case of a local Sheriff’s Deputy, trying to arrest someone for doing something illegal AND having a warrant out for something else. Both men were fathers.  Both were spouses.  And now both families had a loved one taken away… for what?  It makes me sad for the families, and angry at the shooters, and scared for JD, and just sick in general.  Literally sick to my stomach.

As a population, we have a tendency to think we know everything there is to know about everything.  We hate things we don’t even understand.  But there’s so much we can’t fully comprehend until we’ve experienced it- living in war zone, poverty, disease, working at a highly under-appreciated but dangerous job, etc.

There’s so much running through my mind that I don’t think I could really articulate all the things I want to say.  Instead, I’ll let fellow blogger Brooke do it.  A fellow police wife posted this to Facebook today and I’m grateful, because I don’t think this type of thing is said enough.  I don’t know the author, but I appreciate that she shared this.

Hate all you want.  Hate the things you don’t understand.  But until you’ve lived it, you have no idea what you’re talking about.  End of discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment