Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The End and The Beginning

Monday was the big moment- JD graduated from the academy.  It was bittersweet, really- an ending and a beginning all at the same time.  We could let out a sigh of relief knowing that the stress and insecurity of the academy is over, but it’s sad knowing JD won’t be seeing his academy buddies every day.  They’ve all been split into different districts and shifts.  Like any graduation, he knows that they’ll keep in touch, but it will never be the same. 

Now, the real fun begins.  During the academy, I at least knew where he was going each day. I knew he'd be safe. Now I'm sending him off to the unknown. Rationally, I know that something could happen to him on his motorcycle, walking down the street, or lighting himself on fire at my high school reunion (yes, this actually happened a few weekends ago), but there’s something different about sending him to work in an area of the city that sees so much violence.

He left for his first shift about an hour ago.  I won't pretend like I'm not a little nervous, but I know that I just need to see him make it through his first few dangerous situations, and then I’ll start to feel more comfortable.  Before long, I’ll be all like, “Oh, JD got in a shootout today.  No biggie.”

I’ve also been introduced to the newest joy of being a police wife- guns.  We went from owning 0 to 2 in just a weekend- JD’s duty weapon and the gun his grandpa gave him as a graduation gift.  Naturally, JD likes guns.  I, however, did not grow up in a “gun house” and am really uncomfortable around them.  A few years ago, JD took me to the range to teach me how to shoot.  It sounded like fun… until I got there… and I was afraid to pick up the gun.  I think he’s still holding a grudge about that.

Anyway…. I guess he wins, because I don’t really have a choice anymore.  We have guns in the house, so I have to learn how to use them.  Crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment