Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Harrier's Abandonment Issues

JD has officially worked 3 shifts out on the streets, and his district has delivered excitement as promised.

He’s responded to various calls for larceny, breaking and entering, sexual assault, shooting, etc, but his proudest moment was the foot chase he got in the other night.  JD chased the suspect into the woods, where the K-9 tracked him down, so his first foot chase was a success.

Every morning after he gets off from work, he calls me and excitedly tells me about his night.  The morning after the foot chase, he couldn’t even go to sleep because he was still so wound up.  As I laid next to him and tried to relax him enough for sleep, he said the words that were like music to my ears, “Being a police officer is even better than being in the Marine Corps.  I can’t wait to go back to work.”

JD spent the past 3 years searching for something that would fulfill him like the Marine Corps did, and we finally found it.  I like my job, but I don’t think I’ve ever said “I can’t wait to go back.”  I mean, how many people can say that about their work?

It’s so good to see him fulfilled and happy.  It makes the 6 months of the academy worth it.  It will also make the next 30 years of weird hours and nights of single parenting worth it. 

Surprisingly, I haven’t worried as much as I thought when he’s out working.  I sleep like a rock, and when I wake up and haven’t received any kind of phone call or knock at the door, I know that no news is good news.

Actually, it’s Harrier who seems to worry.  Harrier was JD’s dog long before I came into the picture, so as much as Harrier loves me, he will always be JD’s dog first and foremost.  So far, Harrier is not digging the night schedule.  The first night, he spent most of the evening listening for noises in the cul-de-sac, then standing at the door and wagging his tail expectantly.  When JD didn’t come home as expected, he laid down and stuck his snout right up to the door, pouting. 

Harrier is supposed to be comforting me, not the other way around :)

No comments:

Post a Comment