Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dear Running, I Still Hate You

The verdict is in.  I still hate running.

JD and I threw on our Five Fingers for another run last night.  The first quarter mile was good.  I was chatting with him about my day and enjoying the late evening sunshine.  But shortly before the half mile mark, my throat started to burn (the same feeling you get when you’re breathing heavy when it’s cold outside), except it wasn’t cold at all- it was hot and muggy, and I was miserable.  And then it hit me.  I needed to stop trying to force myself to like something I didn’t.

I have a gym membership and I go regularly.  There are several classes that I love and I enjoy having variety in my workouts throughout the week.  So I don’t really NEED to run.  It just always sounds like fun, and I wish I liked it more.

Alas, there will be no 13.1 or 26.2 stickers on the back of my car (I always envy those people).  Maybe I'll just put a picture of me in crow pose on the back of my car instead.  

I can be cool too.

I could see JD was a little disappointed, and I’m a little worried he won’t keep up with running after the academy is over without me there by his side to motivate him.  But fair is fair.  I don’t make him come to yoga, so he can’t make me run :)

2 comments:

  1. I can teach you to like it!! Don't give up!! You just have to start with the run/walk to build up your lung capacity. I'm totally getting one of those 13.1 stickers this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please definitely put that picture on the back of your car. DEFINITELY :)

    ReplyDelete