Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mountain Vacation

Every year, my dad's side of the family takes a week-long summer vacation together.  We almost always go to the beach, but this year we decided to switch things up and rent a cabin in the mountains of Gatlinburg, TN.  It was a relaxing and fun-filled weekend of hiking, motorcycle rides with JD (although I can't say I'll ever go riding in the mountains again- I got super motion sick and almost puked over the side of a mountain), shopping (normally I don't like shopping on vacation because I feel like I'm wasting time that could be spent doing something else, but I enjoyed the shops in downtown Gatlinburg and the nearby outlet mall), tons of relaxing in the hot tub, and a horseback ride.  

I also had the first really good opportunity to play around with our new DSLR camera.  Enjoy!


Some views from hiking




Motorcycle ride- I was SO happy to be off the bike at this point.


Taking in the view (please ignore my helmet hair)


Stopping for ginger ale, a snack, and some people watching :)


More hiking



Grotto Falls- The only waterfall in the area that you can walk behind


Rather than hiking with the rest of us, JD decided to RUN up the mountain.  Here he is cooling off (actually, freezing his butt off) in the waterfall.


Awwww.


The view from our cabin.  Not bad, eh?


Shopping in Gatlinburg.  I loved this area that was off of the main road.  Instead of cheesy tshirt shops and typical touristy stuff, it was filled with cute boutiques and pretty landscaping.


Great Smoky Mountain National Park... here is the view from the highest point in the park.




No comments:

Post a Comment