Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Thin Blue Line


I have one of these stickers on my car



For those of you not familiar, it's called "The Thin Blue Line" and it represents support for law enforcement.  The other day, a coworker was asking me about the sticker and asked if it means I can drive like a maniac and get away with it.

Um, not quite.

I mean, I'll admit the thought has crossed my mind.  Maybe if I do get pulled over, I won't get a ticket because of my sticker.  Then again, maybe I WILL get a ticket because I'm a police wife and should know better.

The truth is, by putting the sticker on my car, I feel like I'm a representative for Law Enforcement Officers everywhere, which means I actually need to hold myself to a higher standard.  

I know that sounds cheesy, and maybe even a little fake, but it's truly how I feel.  I'm not going to pretend I don't ever speed, or that I didn't cut into a backed up lane in traffic the other day (To be fair, I left work later than usual and didn't realize that particular exit backs up like that.  By the time I realized, it was too late and I had to cut in front of someone to get off in time.  Whoops). But in general, I try to be a courteous driver and set a good example.

I mean, don't they have it hard enough already?

1 comment: